January 26, 2009

Paris Part 2

On our 3rd day, I was so thrilled to visit the Palace of Versailles. I had visited it before when I was in high school, and was eager to show Arthur the opulence and beauty of the architecture and gardens. This is where Louis the 14th reigned and where Louis the 16th and his wife Marie Antoinette lived lavishly. It is a perfect symbol of the division between the elite and the poor in France before and during the French Revolution.

Once we got there, I was shocked and horrified to see that some guy name Jeff Koons was allowed to desecrate the Palace with things he called "art".

Yes, those are plastic inner tubes climbing a fence:

They actually replaced one of the chandeliers in this room to make room for a hanging lobster:

Michael Jackson and Bubbles (no comment needed):

Why would you want to look at the artwork on the ceiling and walls, when you can admire the giant balloon-puppy in the middle of the room?

So, those are things I didn't expect and didn't really love about Versailles. Here are pictures of what I did like:

Palace Entrance
This is where Marie Antionette wed Louis VI

Artwork
Hall of Mirrors
Gardens
Marie Antoinette's Bedroom
War Room
And a cute guy that let me take his picture
After a long day of touring Versailles, we headed back to Paris to view the Christmas decor at the Galleries Lafayette. This is a famous shopping center in Paris. Although the lights were spectacular, we realized how close to Christmas it was by the crowds we encountered!


Paris Opera House

4 comments:

Tisha said...

WOW!!! I'm totally jealous! what an amazing trip- and especially to do it w/o kids! I'm sure you felt like a whole new woman! all the pictures are beautiful- I seriously can't believe that art show inside versailles- what?! a little to crazy for me too! you guys look great! I'm so glad you got to do it!

Candice Carter said...

That is amazing..... I am a little bit jealous!! You are so lucky to be able to visit all of those wonderful places....

holly said...

I'm shocked at the crap art that was in there! You know, the Jeff Koons stuff...:)
Your trip looks so fun! I'm glad you went.

Sarahp said...

Wow! I've gotta give that a try someday! How fun for you guys.