March 22, 2007

When Life Gives You Lemons, You Make....

Arthur and I do not have green-thumbs (shocking, isn't it??). It is really sad that we finally have a house with a little bit of land, and really have no idea what to do with it. Our backyard is more like an untamed vine wilderness complete with the freakiest cactus tree thing I have ever seen. We keep talking about hiring someone to just rip everything out so we can start fresh, but of course, it is all just talk and no action.


Our front yard is in a little bit better condition only because we would most likely be complained about in our weekly Neighborhood Watch emails. I can't tell you much about the species of plants in our front yard, but I can tell you that we have a huge lemon tree. For the first year we lived in the house, we were convinced the lemons were poisonous. Given the condition of the plants in the rest of our yard, we just couldn't risk tasting even one. So, we watched them drop onto our driveway all year long. I even thought about having the tree removed to save myself some work.

This year would have been the same if we did not have a visit from Arthur's parents. Even after we warned them that the tree had never been watered or cared for since we moved in, the ladder was pulled out of the garage, and up went my father-in-law to retrieve some fruit. We waited for them to return home to tell us how it went. Apparently, the tree produces some pretty tasty lemons and nobody had to go the emergency room to have their stomach pumped!


So, now I have this huge tree that is full of delicious lemons and am faced with the problem of knowing what to do with them all. I have perfected my lemonade-making skills, though. So, if anyone has a lemon recipe to die for, please send it my way (just no lemon chiffon - Arthur is not a fan)! Or, if anyone living in the area would like some lemons, please take them! I have officially become that lady who shows up at any function with fruit to give away.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Kerri,

The lemons were GREAT! They were juicy & sweet. Thanks.

Dad Shek

Kerri said...

I know! My lemonade is so good, it makes me wonder why people would ever buy lemonade at the store! I wish it were possible to send a crate to you!

Sarah said...

Watch out, Kerri - I'm going to be stopping by your yard every time I'm out now to grab lemons. We use them in lemon/ice mixtures in the blender for a nice cold treat and for homemade Jamba Juice drinks. I'm always tempted to harvest strangers' trees but now I'll just attack yours!