July 23, 2008

Wannabe Annie Leibovitz

In another life, I think I would have liked to be a photographer. I have absolutely zero artistic ability, but I have always loved taking pictures and looking at photos. In 5th grade, I actually convinced my mom to allow me to buy a book called "How to Use a Camera" in one of our book orders. It was a small book with probably 15 pages of large-print instructions on camera use. It was definitely written for children to read and did not provide any major technical instruction. I did not own a camera and there was no way my dad was going to let me borrow his huge bulky camera that cost a fortune (remember, this was in the 80's!). I would sit in my room reading this basic book and imagine how fun it would be to actually take real pictures.

My little Canon digital has been perfect for taking memorable shots of the kids, but very rarely do I take a shot worthy of being framed. But, because of an assignment, Arthur was able to borrow a Canon SLR camera from work. He brought it home last night and let us play a little. It was fun and addicting trying to take nice pictures. We definitely were better at taking pictures of inanimate objects rather than our lively children. But, it was fun, nonetheless!


We definitely need practice taking pictures of the kids, but I don't think these are too bad for a first try!
Pictures of Arthur's fried rice turned out looking scrumptious, though!
And a few odds and ends around the house actually didn't end up looking like odds and ends!

4 comments:

The Jensens said...

I definitely share your interest in cameras. I have convinced Scott to buy a canon slr for photographing his patients' teeth, and I get to use it on the side! I am starting a digital photography class at the community college at the end of august. I'm so excited!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Considering how many pictures I take, I should probably make an effort to actually learn the principles of good photography. Ah well, at least I have fun.

The china doll picture is cool. :)

Lisa said...

We just got an SLR, and LOVE it!! Our pictures have instantly and dramatically improved. I strongly recommend it as a worthy investment...:)

CoCo said...

Kerri - I WANT TO KIDNAP YOUR BOYS!