June 24, 2007

Creature of Habit

Tomorrow Tyler will wake up between 6 and 7:00 in the morning. He will walk up the steps with his two blankets and a sippy cup. He will sit down in the office and turn on a movie. About 20 minutes later, he will begin his morning play-time.


At about 7:30, he will wave at the door as Arthur pulls away to go to work. Once the garage is closed, he will go back to his morning play-time.
At around 10:00 AM, Dylan will go down for a nap. As soon as I return from putting Dylan to sleep, Tyler will ask me to help him with his Thomas the Tank Engine puzzle. This is a game that is reserved for times when Dylan is sleeping, and Tyler does not hesitate to remind me. He will instruct me to help him find the red "James" pieces followed by Cranky, Harold, Percy and finally Thomas - always in this order. A few remaining pieces will be added to complete the puzzle. As soon as all 24 pieces fit perfectly together, Tyler will start to dissemble the puzzle. As soon as I join him in the clean up, he will pick up the box and hold it carefully so that I can put all 24 pieces back in.

Once the puzzle is cleaned up, Tyler will run to find the game Memory (another game reserved for Dylan's nap time). Almost as soon as we get the game set up, he will tire of organized fun, and will start to play with his cars and train set. At some time during this play time, his cars and trains will be lined up in a perfectly straight line.





If he is thirsty, he will ask for juice. If I give him the option between juice and chocolate milk, he will request chocolate milk.

At lunch, I will sit him in his booster seat. Immediately, he will search for the straps to buckle himself in. If he cannot find the straps, he will scream relentlessly until I help him find them. He will use his fork to stab the table. I will remind him that we don't use forks to stab the table. He will stab the table again. I will remind him again that we don't use forks to stab the table and threaten to take the fork away if he does it again. He will stab the table again and I will put my hand out for the fork and he will give it to me.

When I feed Dylan, Tyler will request a taste of Dylan's food, I will offer him a small taste, and he will start laughing and say, "No that's Dylan's food!" and reject my offer.

Soon after lunch, it will be nap time. We will search the house for his two blankets and sippy cup. Once the items are located, Tyler will lay down in his bed. I will hand him his two blankets, put the sippy cup on the edge of the bed and if it is a warm day, I will cover him with his sheet only. He will protest and demand to have all blankets. I cover the bottom half of his legs with the rest of his blankets and convince him that this will be fine. I will give him kisses and wish him a good night.

3 hours later, Tyler will walk up the steps wet with sweat, holding his 2 blankets and his sippy cup.

We will go outside for a walk. I will put Dylan on one side of the stroller, and Tyler will climb into the other side by himself. Immediately, he will search for the straps to buckle himself in. If he cannot find the straps, he will scream relentlessly until I help him find them.

During the walk, he will say, "What's that noise?" as we pass a house with wind chimes. I will say, "wind chimes" and he will repeat "wind chimes".

When Arthur opens the garage door signalling his return from work, Tyler will make a mad dash to the door and will run out to welcome him home.

During dinner, I will sit him in his booster seat. Immediately, he will search for the straps to buckle himself in. If he cannot find the straps, he will scream relentlessly until I help him find them. He will use his fork to stab the table. I will remind him that we don't use forks to stab the table. He will stab the table again. I will remind him again that we don't use forks to stab the table and threaten to take the fork away if he does it again. He will stab the table again and I will put my hand out for the fork and he will give it to me.

When I feed Dylan his dinner, Tyler will request a taste of Dylan's food, I will offer him a small taste, and he will start laughing and say, "No that's Dylan's food!" and reject my offer.

When it is bath-time, Arthur will stand 10 feet from the tub and try to make a basket with Tyler's basket ball bath toys. Tyler will giggle with hysterics while he retrieves the balls for Arthur so that he can make another attempt.

At bed-time, Arthur will search the house for his two blankets and sippy cup. Once the items are located, Tyler will lay down in his bed. Arthur will hand him his two blankets and put the sippy cup on the edge of the bed. Arthur will read him 2-3 stories, say a prayer, and kiss him goodnight.

If you were to come to my house on any average day, these are the things that you would probably witness. Tyler is definitely my creature of habit.



5 comments:

Amber said...

I LOVE it. That was hilarious. You narrated it so well. Isn't it so funny how we say the same things over and over and over and over, yet everytime our children act as if it is something new. I think they are smarter than we think. They probably know the answers, they just want to hear us say it again. Maybe they are testing us to see how smart we are?

Kerri said...

I never thought that they could be testing us, but I think you are totally right!

CoCo said...

Kerri - you are living Groundhog's Day w/Tyler (instead of Bill Murray!). I hope that my children are that predictible (and OCD w/their toys and organization) as Tyler is. :)

Kerri said...

Dang - I couldn't come up with a good title for this blog. I should have known you would have thought of a good one!

If your kids are anything like you, you know they will have severe OCD! All their toys will be organized at all times!

Anonymous said...

You (and Arthur) have such a fun and clever blog - it makes me laugh to hear all your parenting adventures so cleverly described.

When he was 2 and 3, Evan also had to line up his 100 cars perfectly straight (all facing the same direction) each day. Now that he's 5, that's relaxed a bit, but he still spends hours carefully arranging his cars and planes...and feels very upset when a baby sister messes them up.