September 2, 2007

Turning 30 can be Wicked

2 weeks ago, I turned the dreaded 30. How could this happen to someone like me? It just doesn't seem fair. I don't know what I did, but my 20's just packed their bags, jumped in the car, and sped away without even saying goodbye. I looked in the mirror, and it seems that they even stole my wrinkle-free complexion. I really thought we were good together. Breakups are hard, but this one was tougher than expected.

I had a moment to mourn my loss, and then realized I had to get myself together. I did accomplish quite a bit in the past decade. I

  • graduated from college
  • fell in love with and married the love of my life
  • purchased my first house
  • gave birth to 2 pretty great kids
  • ran 3 marathons
  • lived on the beach
  • celebrated a 5th wedding anniversary
  • traveled to Europe and Asia
  • bought and still own my first car
So, here's to the start of a new decade with plenty of opportunity to create spectacular memories!

My goals for my 30's:

  • celebrate a 10th and 15th wedding anniversary
  • watch 2 of my kids get baptized
  • go on a safari in Africa
  • buy a bigger car
  • invent a Transporter to avoid having to drive the 6 hours up to Sacramento
  • travel in space
Ok, ok, so maybe the last two are a little ambitious, but a girl can dream. After all, Thomas Edison invented the light bulb at age 31.

To soften the blow of being 30, Arthur surprised me with a babysitter and Orchestra Seat tickets to Wicked (I told you I married the love of my life). Here are a couple pictures:





If anyone out there has any words of advice to a new member of the 30's club, I would love to hear it!

14 comments:

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I'm currently staring down the barrel of the big 3-0 myself. Ten months to go before I'm in your shoes.

If you have any epiphanies about 30-ness before then, please let me know.

Amanda said...

I've been planning my big 3-0 for several years now. I'm going back to Boston to enjoy it as I would have liked to in the glory days. Think eating at nice restaurants and seeing the ballet and going to museums and shopping and maybe even taking a cab instead of running to catch the T! I'm coordinating it with our summer trip home so Mom and Dad can play babysitter to my crazies!

Amber said...

I will be part of the 30 club in about 4 months too. And I echo your comments....I least we have a lot to show for it. Beautiful children, a wonderful husband. I however, am still waiting for the house. But oh well. We like where we are for now.

Also, I'm super excited you got tickets. It will be so great to see you and hang out. Yay!!!

Sarah said...

Kerri, you sly thing you! I didn't know it was your birthday two weeks ago - looks like we're having a triple party for you guys this Saturday :)

I love the voice in your posts - you make turning 30 sound almost glamorous. I had no idea you were a marathoner! No wonder you're so buff.

If it makes you feel any better, you don't look a day over 25. I'm serious. But if you are what I'm going to look like at 30, then bring on the birthdays!

Angela said...

Happy belated birthday! I'm so glad that you got to go to Wicked on your date! It is the BEST! I have the soundtrack and have been trying to memorize all the words, ha ha. That's awesome about the marathons - I've done some too, but now I think half marathons are the way to go. We should do one together . . . after I can start running again. See you soon, hopefully!

maren bosley said...

CONGRATULATIONS KERRI! I'm turning 30 in January which seems crazy--I still feel like I'm 23 years old! Sounds like you had a great celebration--way to go Arthur!!!

Kerri said...

I love how everyone that commented is actually younger than I am! Thanks for continuing to make me feel old!

Just kidding!

Maren, I am totally like you - I still feel like I am 24 for some reason!

Megan said...

Happy Birthday Kerri! 30 is impressive and look at all you've accomplished! When you do make the step to a larger car, I must recommend the Odyssey - we probably moved on to the minivan a bit prematurely, but I am LOVING it, if for no other reason than the automatic doors! These are the things in life that bring me pleasure these days.

jane maynard said...

no advice, I've still got one more year! :) I just want to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Also, you look so great as a brunette, and I don't see any wrinkles! :)

Lisa said...

Keri, I never would have guessed you were 30! Erik hit the big 3-0 two years ago, and he seems to be doing just fine. I haven't noticed a difference.

You ran three marathons? Wow! I just ran my first half marathon last weekend. Time to join and Tori's and my running group in the mornings. We need to recruit more members.

Dori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dori said...

Sorry! Had to do a re-type after typing with eyes closed. Happy Birthday Kerri! I'm a jerk...I didn't realized I missed it, but it sounds like you had a great time, I love your list of accomplishments and goals, what a great thing to do for your birthday. You are a beautiful girl, I had to laugh about your so-called wrinkels. Yay for Wicked! I saw it this weekend! Happy Birthday my friend!

holly said...

I must comment to make you feel a little young. I, myself, am already 31! Love it, breathe it, drink it in. Your age, after all, is just a marker of your place in the race. I'm winning! Yippee!!

Tisha said...

kerri- sad I miss your b-day!! you'll have to keep me posted on the 30- I've got one more year to be as accomplished as you, it's gonna be tough- (don't know if I can run 3 marathons by next september, AND travel to Asia! :) I'm sure the 30's will even be better- they are the new 20's I hear :)