March 23, 2008

Egg Hunting

Recently I was talking to a friend of mine about my excitement over taking the kids to the local park for the city Easter Egg Hunt. She scoffed at the idea of a city sponsored egg hunt. Thinking she was just jealous that she had not bought tickets for her family, I have been teasing her for being "too good for the local egg hunt"!

Yesterday was the day of the hunt, so we made our way over to the park with excitement in our eyes. Dylan's age group was first, so Arthur and he waited in the crowd. The gate opened and the crowd rushed. If you know Dylan, you know that he doesn't rush to do anything. He made his way over to the side where I would be taking pictures, picked up 2 eggs, and then the hunt was over! The eggs were gone!

Tyler's group was next. The parents lined up with their children at the gate. The announcer then came over to tell the parents that they would not be allowed to help the children of this age. This was bad news for us since Tyler is a bit timid in unfamiliar settings. The gate was open and kids started running. Arthur tried to get Tyler to go, but he would not budge. Arthur looked up to see the field saturated with parents disobeying the rules by helping their children pick up eggs, so he walked with Tyler into the madness. Less then 30 seconds after the hunt began, the field was cleared and the hunt was over. Either there were not enough eggs to go around, or too many pushy parents participating. Whatever it was, Tyler walked away empty-handed! Since Tyler is old enough to understand the concept, it was a sad moment for him. Thankfully, the workers were sympathetic to the group of kids with empty baskets and gave them a few at the end of the hunt. So, after paying $18, we walked away with 4 plastic eggs and 4 cold hot dogs.

Next year, I will proudly state that I won't be attending the local egg hunt and will not be ashamed when my friends say that I am "too good for the local hunt"!


6 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh! Did you see that article in the Friend this month where the kid at the Easter egg hunt gave his two big eggs to the little blind boys that couldn't find any candy because everyone took it all before they could get to it? My kids were really touched by that article, so much so that Camille ended up finding eggs and putting them in her friend Helen's basket (even though Helen is not blind and had plenty of eggs of her own!) - anyway...too bad there weren't more kids like that at your egg hunt. We usually do one with just our kids in the back yard, only this year we canceled it since some little girl sneaked out of bed, found the eggs for the hunt and proceeded to eat candy out of about half of them. I was really disappointed since that's something that I like to do. Better luck to both of us (and our kids!) next year!

holly said...

Hey now, I'm not sure I scoffed at the idea...I am the friend, right?
Let's just get organized and do one with our friends next year. It'll be fun!

Kerri said...

Amanda - I loved that story, but unfortunately the people in my town were not good examples of this at all!

Holly - Perhaps "scoff" was too strong of a word, but it was all that came to mind at the moment. Yes, we would love to do a smaller egg hunt with TONS of eggs next year!

Sarahp said...

Yeah, we went too, but I have to say that I was a little underwhelmed myself at the small, flat grassy area sectioned off by road barriers. I mean, I remember egg hunts where eggs are hidden in bushes and trees and plants and weeds and there is "hunting" involved, instead of just pushing through the crowd and picking them up the fastest. Still, I can't complain, because I was going to try and organize a real one, but got a little too busy.
And our kids did get a lot bcs Jared "somehow" didn't hear the instruction to line up at the opening made sure they slipped under the opposite side of the opening to beat the crowd. (Dallin got burned at the hunt last year and was worried about trying again.) We would have shared with Tyler if we had known!

Rachel said...

I hope you didn't have to get up early to go to that blood-letting.

I guess the tradition of putting eggs around the library trees has not carried on. Now that was a good hunt!

Tisha said...

poor tyler! :( I remember that last year- shear madness! I agree that having one with just your friends in a more contained setting is totally more fun for all. (and more candy!) we read that Friend article too, it was super cute...happy easter!!