March 11, 2008

Greenish Thumb

Most people know that I am not a plant person. In the almost 7 years that we have been married, we have had one live plant in our house: A palm tree that got severely mistreated. Everyone who came into our house would give us suggestions on how to revive the sad tree. I think that simple regular watering would have been the answer, but I was too ashamed to admit my negligence. Nonetheless, the palm lived a short 4 years before it ended up in the trash. That was about 3 years ago, and we have not taken on the responsibility of any other living decorations in the house (unless you count our 2 children).

Last summer, we had a major backyard landscaping project completed. Our landscaper suggested that we use a small plot to plant some vegetables and herbs. I had the best intentions when the work was complete, but sadly, the garden went to waste. I am definitely hopeless when left on my own with plants!

When my friend, Kimberly asked to help me start a garden in my backyard, I almost burst out laughing. I only agreed when she said that we would do the shopping, planting and care together. If it were not for her instructions, the garden would have continued to waste away. So, 2 weeks ago, we worked the little space and planted tomatoes, strawberries, peppers, onions, spinach, and celery. We set up the automatic sprinklers and things are looking up. Now that I have a teammate and am not alone in this endeavor, I think we just might actually produce something!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm with you on the lack of a green thumb. I have one house plant that has been slowly withering away for a few years now due to blatant neglect. Erik is the farmer in the family. He plants veggies in the summer, and I'm not allowed to touch them.

Amanda said...

Yay! I'll be rooting for your garden! There is nothing better than being able to go to your back yard and pick some veggies for dinner. Have you planted any herbs? We won't have a garden this year since we'll be moving, but I plan to stick some herbs in a pot so I can take my basil with me. There's nothing more delightful in the summer time than fresh basil along with fresh tomatoes! Good luck!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I'm excited to watch our garden grow, and it sure is fun to have someone to share it with. :)