November 9, 2008

First Public Performance

Today was the primary program in church. I had been a bit nervous about the idea of not being able to feed, distract, and pacify Tyler while he sat up on the stand during the entire meeting. He had a little part to recite that we had been practicing for a couple weeks. Knowing Tyler, the better prepared he is, the better things tend to go. I had considered taking him to the church to practice sitting on the stand, but a busy week didn't allow it. I was confident in his ability to remember his part, but nervous about how the delivery would go.

Tyler's class is the youngest in the primary, and because of the number of kids, there were not enough seats. So, his class had to stand the entire time in the front row. Picture about 10 three-to-four year olds standing in a line for 60 minutes. You don't need to be good at math to know that that could equal serious problems! I started to get nervous, but really for no reason. Although he ducked down below the little wall for much of the time, I was really proud at how well he behaved himself. He sang most of the songs and the little shoving match he started with his good friend, Sarah, was more humorous than disastrous.

The program ended up being really nice. The kids all bore testimony about being Children of God and what that meant to them. They talked about how important the scriptures are and about different parts of the gospel. I was really touched by their sweet voices as they sang songs.

Right before his part, I said a quick and silent prayer for him. He took the microphone, ducked below the wall again and delivered it perfectly! Well, perfectly, in a slow deep growl that amused the entire congregation. Once he was finished, he stood right back up, gave the mic back to the leader, and offered me a priceless proud look.

I love that kid!

P.S. Here is his part for posterity (he came up with it all on his own):

"When I get baptized, I will wear white clothes. My Daddy will baptize me and I will go under the water. Then I will receive the Holy Ghost."

5 comments:

The Waldrams said...

It was very funny to watch, and very sweet.

Amanda said...

So cute! Our Primary program was yesterday too and I learned that it's an entirely different experience watching it from the stand (I teach the CTR 6/7 class). You get a totally different view. It was fun to see Caleb be able to deliver his parts with a little more confidence this year and see little Camille (also a Sunbeam) step up to the microphone, brush her hair out of her face, and deliver her line entirely too close to the microphone! This was her line: "Gordon B. Hinckley taught us to have love and concern for everyone. Especially those in other religions."

Kaui said...

What a brave primary president to let that many youngsters stand that long! Happy all went well!

Megan said...

way to go Tyler! that sounds so cute. you must have been a proud mom!

Branjuli said...

Hey I found your blog - guess that's bound to happen when I blog-stalk all day! Tyler was so cute during the program, and I appreciate you not blaming me for not being able to see his cute little face during his part - the whole time he was ducking I was trying to pull him up and kept thinking, "Oh no! I hope Kerri and Arthur don't think I'm the worst leader ever!" You have the cutest boys!