January 14, 2008

Blaming the Skunk


So, we thought we had our little problem solved when we caught the skunk after Christmas. We were wrong! Last week, we installed a mesh cover with hinges hoping to allow the skunks to open the "door" to depart, but not re-enter. The next day, we caught number 2. I waved a fond farewell to him and bid him on his way when the animal control lady came. Unfortunately, she warned me that our problems were far from over. Those stinkers are smart and travel in packs!

The remaining members of the Shek Skunk family have proven to be geniuses. They are no longer fooled by the peanut butter and tuna in the trap and somehow they have been able to open the mesh door to get back in. So, Arthur came up with a funky contraption hoping to prevent them from reaching the door after they have left for the night (including a trash bin and wood). But, the 9 PM rumbling noises coming from our crawl space have not ceased. So, if anyone has a sure-fire skunk removal solution (short of harming them), please send it our way!

Here is a slightly humorous side of the story, though: Tyler has accompanied us on a few of the morning "check if we caught a skunk" trips. We warn him to be quiet so that the skunk doesn't spray us. So, the other day, I noticed that he had a wet shirt and asked him if he sprayed the water on himself when he was washing his hands. He thought for a moment and said, "Maybe the skunk sprayed me!"

4 comments:

Amber said...

Oh...I'm so sorry for you. Skunks don't sound fun at all. Good luck. I have absolutely NO idea how to get rid of them.

Marie said...

Fox urine maybe? I know they sell it at garden stores to keep animals from eating your plants. Perhaps if you spray it around your house they wil keep away. That is my best guess.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Marie! I actually was just reading about that last night. I am going to pick some up later this week, if we still have no luck.

This morning, I went to check the trap and found that we had caught a possum. I think word must be spreading around the forest creatures that we are open for business or something!

Unknown said...

Hi Kerri,

I feel for you. We had skunks in our crawl space too. They really smelled and made such a racket during mating season! Your Auntie Angie and I thought of checking into a hotel one night because of the smell.

We were told to put some flour down where they are getting in so we can see their tracks when they leave. We also used the traps and it took a few weeks of trapping to catch all of them. Then we used wire mesh to close up the hole. You guys are basically doing the same so have some patience and will luck, you'll catch them all. Good luck!!

Uncle Harlan