September 8, 2008

Dylan is 2

Last week, Dylan turned 2 years old! My baby is no longer a baby!

Here is a post strictly devoted to Dylan. Please stop now, unless you are a sucker for personal touching stuff. But, don't worry - after 2 sappy posts in a row, I will follow up with some good pictures next time!

Dylan, you are the most thoughtful and loving boy I know. I treasure your cuddles and your desire to make peace in the house. When kissing you, I don't always love the slobber, but I appreciate that you are not satisfied unless you plant a good wet one directly on the lips.

You wish you could do everything your big brother is doing. Lately, you have started to slide down the legs of the dinner table, while saying, "Wire Pole (Fire Pole)!" You have begun to walk up the stairs without assistance and are very tempted to walk down them.

I love your deep quiet voice. If I listen well, you say some really great stuff for a 2 year old. You are thoughtful and share your toys without much fuss. You are sensitive and kind to others. A hug from you will brighten anyone's day.

You are not the fastest kid around, but watching your bow-legged-hop-run is one of the funniest things. When we take walks, I have to constantly yell, "Come on, Dylan!" because you prefer to smell the roses and enjoy your surroundings.

You enjoy dinosaur rides with Daddy, playing elevator with Tyler, and reading books with me. You do not like messy fingers, and request multiple washings at each meal.

You are afraid of swings, costumes, and the nursery at church. When it comes to the pool, though, your fear disappears. You are an excellent swimmer. You jump into the water without hesitation and wish that I was not around sometimes to hinder your training!

As you have approached 2 years old, your independence is starting to grow. No longer do you sit next to me at the park quietly playing in the sand. You are now a wanderer, with places to go and things to explore. You voice your opinions well, and don't back away from a fight with your brother.

We have been amazed this past week watching you basically potty train yourself. Remarkably, in 9 days, you have had only 3 accidents! In fact, as I have been writing this, you walked yourself to your little potty, did your job, and got up to tell me to come look. Then, you asked me to dump the goods into the big toilet and waved goodbye as you flushed it down.

It was a big year for you as you learned to talk, walk, run, and use the bathroom. You learned to fall asleep on your own and take long afternoon naps (phew!). You are learning your shapes and can spot a circle anywhere now. Your are learning your colors and can count to 3. You sing songs as best as you can, and offer great smiles to just about anyone.

I am so proud of you in so many ways, Dylan. You have grown so much and have surprised us in so many ways. It is a pleasure and honor to be your Mom. You will always be my Little Bub!

2 comments:

Afton said...

How sweet. Your children will cherish these when they are older! Yes, we do have to get together! We were just talking about how we haven't been mini golfing in awhile. My sister-in-law knew the Maynards when they were in San Diego, so she introduced me to TWFD.

CoCo said...

He reallys is the sweetest and most thoughtful boy. I will always cherish his stepping in to high-five me when Tyler rejected me. That little Dylean is a day brightener indeed.